Friday, May 4, 2012

Red Wolves and a Good Howling

Sometimes I am riding along on my typical day, and random things that I miss about the zoo will pop into my head. Mind you, there is a whole lot I don't miss, so I'm not sorry I moved forward with my life. But, occasionally, these things hit me and make me momentarily nostalgic for my old life. Today, it was the memory of the red wolves that lived in the exhibit next door to the aviary. Often times, in the early morning, when I was just stepping from my car at dawn to begin my day, the pack would greet me with a howl. Of course, they weren't actually greeting me, but that's how it felt. It always made all the hair on my body stand on end for a moment, and then I would smile and feel this kind of elation that I'm not sure I can put into words. Today, I found myself wishing for a good red wolf howl. They sound a bit different from a timber wolf. It's kind of like a cross between a timber and coyote. Anyway, here is a little video I found from the World Conservation Center in South Salem, New York, so you can hear what I mean. Hope you have a fantastic Friday!


No comments: