Friday, May 25, 2012

Plastic Updates and an NC Zoo Video.

My inbox gets filled with all manner of fantastic things some days. It pays to have friends all over the world who think of me and send me cool stuff. Thanks to all of you who have done so. It's always appreciated, even if I don't end up blogging about it.

One of the tidbits that just came across my computer is an update to the last story posted about banning plastic in the state of Hawaii.  Los Angeles has now joined San Francisco in banning the use of plastic bags city-wide, making them the largest city so far to institute the ban. This makes me deliriously happy. Keep it up people! Let's make non-biodegradable plastic a thing of our past. Well, that will be hard, since it's shelf like is something like 10,000 years, but still, stopping the demand for its production is a serious step in the right direction.

The other bit of news I received is a little news segment for Roanoke Virginia's Daytime Blue Ridge program on channel 10 about the NC Zoo. A good portion of the short video is filmed in the RJ Reynold's Forest Aviary, where I spent ten years taking care of the birds. I really miss working there sometimes, so it was lovely to see some of my old friends, feathered and otherwise, doing what they do. I enjoyed a good chuckle at the narrator who says he loves seeing the "animals and birds" as if they are two separate things. Still, I thought you might enjoy it. If you live "in a day's drive" of Asheboro, North Carolina, or even if you don't, the NC Zoo is worth making time for. It really is one of the best zoos in the world, and the largest zoo in the world in land mass. Don't miss it if you have the chance to visit. I promise you won't be disappointed.

No comments: